If you think Knoppix is just a Linux demo disk, think again. Klaus Knopper created an entire Linux distribution on a bootable CD (and now a DVD) so he could use his favorite open source tools on any computer. This book includes a collection of tips and techniques for using the enormous amount of software Knoppix offers-not just to work and play, but also to troubleshoot, repair, upgrade, and disinfect your system without having to install a thing.
Knoppix Hacks is just like the distribution it covers: a veritable Swiss Army knife packed full of tools. Scores of industrial-strength hacks-many of them new to this second edition-cover both the standard Knoppix CD and the feature-rich DVD "Maxi" distribution, which is included with this book. Discover how to use Knoppix to its full potential as your desktop, rescue CD, or as a launching point for your own live CD.
With Knoppix Hacks, you can:
- Investigate features of the KDE desktop and its Internet applications
- Save your settings and data between reboots with persistent storage
- Employ Knoppix as a system administration multitool to replace failed servers and more
- Use the CD/DVD as a rescue disc to repair filesystems or a system that won't boot
- Rescue Windows systems with Knoppix to back up files and settings, hack the registry, and more
- Explore other live CDs based on Knoppix that could augment your system
- Easily install the popular Debian GNU/Linux distribution with all of your hardware detected and configured
- Remaster Knoppix to include your favorite software and custom branding
Whether you're a new Linux user, power user, or system administer, this book helps you take advantage of Knoppix and customize it to your needs. You may just find ways to use Knoppix that you never considered.